Saturday 4 February 2012

February the 3rd, 2012

A new dream last night, or maybe one I’ve not had in awhile and so I didn’t remember it with any clarity.
I’m stood in my suit at The Royal Exchange in The City. It’s a beautiful day, with crisp blue skies – but it’s very cold (much like today). All I have on is my suit, no overcoat, and I’m freezing. There is something wrong, as around The Royal Exchange is freakishly quiet – there is not a single human being, there are no cars. Eerily there aren’t even the sounds of people or traffic from Leadenhall either. I am absolutely the only person there, shivering in my suit.

But then I do hear something. Off in the distance there’s a sound, it’s a fast noise, like a large wave crashing towards me. I stand there looking towards Moorgate and The London Wall, where I think the noise is coming from. It gets louder, nearer, and for a moment it sounds like there are hooves, a pack of wild horses charging towards me.

I feel like I should turn and run, but I don’t. Instead I hold my ground and stare at it. Then suddenly down Princess Street comes this swarm of people. There must be thousands of them. They are running in my direction, but I’m not sure they’re running at me, it might be that they’re fleeing something and I just find myself stood in the way.

Panic courses through me, but I still don’t move. There are thousands of them – people of all sizes, races, ages – and they are charging straight at me. I try to look at the expressions on their faces, to see whether they are fearful or angry. To  find out whether this is the rage in society made real and turned into an unstoppable force. But their expressions are impossible to read – a combination of fear and fury, that seems to be both while being neither.

I know I should move, run away – but I don’t. Instead when the fastest ones – a big guy, and this wild eyed, middle aged lady – are only a foot or so away from me, I drop to a ball on the cold pavement. And suddenly on top of me are all these people and I can’t breathe.

What does this mean I’m scared of?

No comments:

Post a Comment