Saturday 7 April 2012

Saturday, 7th of April

The Surrey Quays dream last night. There I am again, standing outside of the shopping centre – the car park and various happy consumers in front of me – and I’m feeling that something below is about to rise up. There is a power beneath my feet, a force so incredible and endlessly malignant.  I don’t know what it is, but it’s there and moving horrifyingly to the surface. It is not an earthquake I am sensing. An earthquake (not that we ever have them in Britain anyway) is something natural, an event which happens in life. They are hardly benign, of course, but they don’t come with a sense of evil. Whatever this thing is there’s definite malice wrapped around it, like some Lovecroftian monster stirring from a long hibernation.
I felt cold in the dream last night, so very cold. Is that my fear manifesting itself, or does this things arrival herald a new coldness?

That lady with the baby is in front of me again in the dream. I see her each time. I’m sure I’ve also now seen her in real life. Did I dream about her before I saw her, or did I just insert her into my dream? I stare at her and try to work out whether she is cold, whether she can feel the same thing I can. It all happens so quickly, but I think that just before the ground cracks she pulls her jacket tighter to her neck and holds the baby closer. Maybe she feels this dreadful presence as well. Perhaps I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment